Citrus Chickpea Salad



A few months ago, my sister-in-law made this salad by Feasting At Home and I fell in love. However, I craved something even more fresh. The orange zest in the curry salad gave me an idea: citrus. I collected all of my favorite crisp fruits and veggies, took some tips from the salad I was already in love with, picked up the best looking citrus I could find, and went to zesting. The result is sweet, refreshing, and filling. Put it in a wrap, on top of greens, on a bun, or as the perfect side dish at a BBQ/pot luck.  It also keeps for several days (though it barely makes it an hour in my house before it's gone) so it can be made ahead for lunches or easy snacks and sides. 

This recipe is almost entirely prep. A sharp knife and time is really all you need, though a zester helps significantly. There are some ingredients, however, with which some may not be familiar: jujube and jicama. 

Jujubes, also known as red dates or Chinese dates, are common in Korean cooking which is where I first came to know them. I found them in the frozen section of my favorite Korean market (shout out to Pleasing Market in Fairborn, OH 😘) and bought a bulk bag which I keep frozen and use as needed. I do have to remove the pit but it's pretty easy so I don't mind. The biggest difference between medjool dates and jujube is the texture. The jujube is far less sticky than medjool dates and I for one love them and use them as a date replacement regularly. They are cheaper, I get to support small local businesses when buying them, and they are sweet but don't hurt my mouth which dates sometimes do. I cannot recommend them enough. However, if you can't find them or have everything else on hand except for the jujube, feel free to substitute with medjool dates or dried figs. 

Jicama, also known as the Mexican yam, is far juicier than typical root vegetables and resembles a very firm pear in texture. It is popular as a street snack in Mexico often chopped and dusted with a chili powder and lime juice. I lamented my new found love for this root in my last recipe, but nothing prepared me for how well suited it would be to my next dish. Perfectly crisp and juicy but neutral in flavor, the jicama makes for fantastic texture in salads and other fresh dishes. Savory or sweet, jicama will most likely fit in. 

In this salad, it pairs with Honeycrisp apple; one releases bursts of sweetness while the other is neutral, fresh, and just slightly different in texture. I find them to be the perfect couple. However, if you don't have jicama or can't find it in a store near you, I suggest using a firm pear such as Asian or Bosc pears or a second apple, one of a different variety to add contrast. Granny Smith, Jazz, Fuji, or Macintosh are all crisp and juicy options. 

Another thing to take into account is the citrus zest. The peels of citrus fruits are a protective barrier but also porous meaning if they aren't organic and have been sprayed with pesticides, they have absorbed those harmful chemicals. That is why it is important to get organic citrus if you are using the zest. There are methods to treat non organic citrus to make the peels safe for consumption involving baking soda and boiling but I personally prefer getting the organic fruits. Saves time and it is higher quality food.

With all that in mind, get to chopping!! Feel free to leave a comment if you have questions and if you make it, tag me on Instagram! @_sexyraddish_ 

Click here for the video!

Citrus Chickpea Salad

Ingredients : 

  • 1 honeycrisp apple, diced
  • 1/2 jicama, diced *
  • ~1/2 cup celery chopped, diced small
  • 1/2 yellow or red onion, diced
  • 3 dried figs, minced
  • 5 jujubes, minced*
  • 1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • Dressing:
    • 6 tablespoons mayo or vegan mayo
    • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
    • zest of 1 organic orange
    • zest of 1 organic lemon
    • zest of 1 organic lime
    • juice of 1/2 orange
    • juice of 1/2 lime
    • <1/2 teaspoon cilantro (optional)
  • 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
*if you don't have access to jicama, replace with a second apple.
*if you don't have jujube you can use dates or more figs. 

Directions:

  1. Mix all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix thoroughly.
  2. In a large bowl, combine everything except for the coconut. I find it is easier to mix using gloves as the jujube and figs and try to clump together.
  3. Once combined, top with coconut.
  4. Add to a wrap, salad, sandwich, or just CHOMP... or let it sit in the fridge for a bit to let the flavors meld. No matter how you eat it, it's gonna be tasty. Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts