Ultra Fluffy Hummus
















I never knew hummus could be fluffy until I went to my first Mediterranean restaurant. I figured they knew something I didn't. Then I made my own and found out that store hummus just sucks! You can make delicious hummus at home that is smooth, fluffy, and flavorful.

 There are 3 tricks to achieving light and fluffy hummus:

  1. baking soda
  2. overcooking 
  3. ice water

The first two are during the cooking of the chickpeas. I make my hummus from dried chickpeas so I cook them with 1/4 teaspoon baking soda for several hours in a slow cooker. The baking soda will help break down the skins so when they are done cooking, you won't have to deal with them. That is the first thing. Next I let them cook for 4-6 hours or until they are cooked and slightly mushy, strain, and use.The softer they are, the smoother they will blend. Even if you are using canned chickpeas, cooking them a bit so they are slightly over cooked will help in making it fluffier. So you want slightly overcooked chickpeas with their skins dissolved.

The third and final step to fluffy hummus is water. Specifically ice water. Adding the ice cold water while blending the hummus will magically turn your paste into a light dip. You will even notice the color of the hummus lighten as you add the water but don't add too much or it will become too wet. I add the water a tablespoon at a time to make sure that I enter the right amount.

Ultra Fluffy Hummus

Click Here for the video!

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (**see notes above)
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup tahini paste
  • 2 medium cloves garlic
  • 1-3 tbsp ice water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • a pinch black pepper
Garnish:
  • olive oil
  • paprika
Required Equipment:
  • food processor 
Directions:
  1. Toss the garlic and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until the garlic is finely minced. Let sit for 5 minutes. The acid in the lemon juice will take out the bite of the raw garlic.
  2. Add all of the other ingredients except for the ice water and blend until smooth.
  3. Once it looks pretty smooth, add the ice water a tablespoon at a time while blending until it is a light and fluffy consistency.
  4. Now stop the processor and taste the hummus. Adjust it to your taste by adding more of the foods you wish to taste more of. I often end up adding more tahini or salt. 
  5. Enjoy

Comments

Popular Posts