Dahi Toast - Vegan




I have wanted to try dahi toast since I saw Priya Krishna make hers on Bon Appétit last April. My lactose intolerant soul cried as I watched her make an incredible sandwich I could not have. I searched the stores for an unsweetened, non dairy yogurt and found none... then I started making my own. Suddenly a whole new world was possible and the first thing I did with my new found power was this sandwich. I made a few small changes to her original recipe to fit my personal preference or if I couldn't get certain ingredients but the result was still incredible and she is definitely right when she says the chhaunk is the true star of the dish.

Click Here for the video

Ingredients:

  • Sandwich:
    • 1 cup thick coconut yogurt, unsweetened
    • 1/2 medium red pepper, chopped fine
    • 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped fine
    • 1 serrano pepper, chopped fine
    • 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped fine
    • 1 pinch chili powder
    • salt to taste
    • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    • 12 slices sourdough bread
    • olive oil for cooking ~2-3 tablespoons
  • Chhaunk:
    • 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 1/2 teaspoon black or brown mustard seed (I used brown as I couldn't find black)
    • 24-30 fresh curry leaves
Directions:
  1. Place all of the ingredients for the sandwich in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Put the mixture in the fridge while you make the chhaunk:
    1. In a sauce pan, heat the oil over low heat.
    2. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seed. They will begin to pop and sputter after a short time. 
    3. Remove from the heat immediately and add the curry leaves. **The oil will spit at you when you add the leaves so plz wear appropriate clothing and be prepared.
    4. Make sure the leaves are all in the oil so they can be cooked properly and set aside to cool.
  2. Take the yogurt mixture from the fridge and spoon it onto six slices of sourdough, making sure the mixture doesn't go over the edges.
  3. Top with the remaining 6 slices and cook them in an oiled pan over medium high heat.
  4. Once cooked, spoon chhaunk over them making sure to get plenty of leaves and seeds on each sandwich. 
  5. Enjoy!! Serve with your choice of chutney and/or ketchup. 

Comments

Popular Posts